CGI

From: Terry Wohlers (73417.1465@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Jan 04 1996 - 00:21:37 EET

Chris Marshall wrote:

> In a message dated 12-18-95: Terry Wohlers made a statement that CGI of
> Eden Prairie, MN was looking for beta sites for their RE-1000 (reverse eng.
> system). I am just writing for a little clarification of the system.
> This system which demo-ed at Autofact '95, basically consists of a
> numerically controlled milling machine coupled with a flat bed scanner that
> compiles layer by layer scans, correct.

Chris - That's correct. Something that I failed to mention in my earlier
message is that you must sacrifice the part you want to scan. After encasing
the part in a block of plastic, the machine mills it layer by layer, until it's
gone. 3D digitizing systems fall into one of two broad categories: contact
and non-contact systems. This is very much a contact system. <grin>

> Also on a side note, isn't this company, CGI, owned/operated by the Crump
> family, who also have a vested interest in Stratasys.

Craig Crump is the founder and president of CGI and the inventor of the RE-1000
process. Craig is Scott Crump's younger brother. Scott is the founder and
president of Stratasys and the inventor of the Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM)
process. The Crump family has a lot of invention and entrepreneurship in their
blood. Scott and Craig's father, Ralph, has a number of patents which have led
to many highly successful products, some in the medical field.

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates