RP Mail List

From: dla@depuy.com
Date: Fri Jan 05 1996 - 18:16:34 EET

I hope that some of the recent talk about junk mail and all of the
requests to Todd Stahlhut to clarify his message will, in no way,
discourage any of us from posting "tips and tricks," (or any other
form of information within the "mail list rules"), to this list.

Todd signed his last correspondence as "Todd 'learned my lesson'
Stahlhut." If there is any lesson to be learned, it is only for
all of us to try to be as clear as possible -- not to learn that
it is just a hassle to participate.

I appreciate Todd's willingness to share his ideas and I want to
encourage everyone to see beyond the talk of "junk mail" and "reg-
ulation" and understand that many of the messages may not be
relevant to us, in particular. There are many days when 90% of
the messages are "junk" to me, but there are other days when it's
the other way around.

Godfried requested to get off the list, and if he is not getting
anything useful from it, then that's a wise decision.

Wade Troxell stated that the list should be somehow regulated. I
understand that point of view, but I also must disagree. It sounds
reasonable, but how can a person or group possibly know how to
"filter" the correspondence? I think "filtering" would have the
long-term affect of reducing the full potential of this mail list.
This mail list has a tremendously diverse group of technical people
that participate; we must be careful not to "throw the baby out with
the bath water."

Let's keep the information flowing freely!

Daniel Anderson
DePuy Orthopaedics
(219)372-7360
dla@depuy.com

"God may be subtle, but He isn't plain mean."
                -- Albert Einstein