patents

From: Carl Deckard (carl.deckard@eng.clemson.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 02 1996 - 21:56:26 EET

>Every case is different - so it may be better not to over generalize

Yes each case is different.

>Can you deny Chester Carlson's rightful place in history?

No I cannot. He is a good example of my point. Chester Carlson worked on
the Xerox machine obsessively. He had vision, drive and determination. He
pushed both the technical and business side. He stuck with the project
until it was clearly time for others to take over. In other words: Chester
Carlson pursued his invention due diligence.

Due diligence is the key. To establish an invention date for patent
purposes, an inventor must show evidence of invention and evidence of due
diligence from that day forward. In other words, they must show that they
did not abandon the invention and that they actively worked on the
invention. But this is not required after the patent is issued. No further
work is required to keep the patent.

Dr. Carl Deckard
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
EIB205
Clemson University
P.O. Box 340921
Clemson South Carolina 29634-0921