Re: RP/FFF Users Group

From: Clinton L Atwood (CLATWOO@sandia.gov)
Date: Tue Feb 06 1996 - 02:51:02 EET

RP Users:
user community, let me add my two cents. As a strong supporter of the RP
Industry and user of stereolithography and selective laser sintering,
participation (not just attendance) in the SLA and SLS User Groups has provided
invaluable knowledge and experience to myself and the technicians (at Sandia)
that build parts. Each of the issues you raise (safety, finishing techniques,
build parameters, accuracy, part orientation, file manipulation, etc.) are
discussed in detail in the conferenc room,
tutorials, hallways,luncheons, dinners, etc. Last year at the SLA Users
Confernce (400 users attended) we set aside as much time as possible for
networking and one-on-one technical discussions. I believe it was very
effective. The SLS Users Group (2 years old, 100 attendees) is providing the
same opportunities to SLS managers and technicians. Other user groups (alpha,
beta) have had the same success. My experience indicates that users of the
different technologies provide the best and most accurate knowledge and
information based on hands-on experience. What we need is more users and RP
technologists to participate (not just attend) share their experiences. It
seems that it is always the same users who provide the vast majority of hands-on
knowledge. There are many forums (maybe too many) give and get information on
rapid prototyping. Unfortunately, it takes time for the users of new
technologies to establish functional working groups.

With regards to the RPA, we are always looking for ways to add value to our
members. The conference has been an excellent forum for users of RP technology
to show their stuff (and talk about it). We welcome suggestions and encourage
participation. Dave Flynn has taken the task to look at the structure of the RP
newsletter. As a willing and very capable user I'm sure Dave will recommend
changes that will benefit the RPA members.

Regards,
Clint Atwod, Rapid Prototyping Team Leader
Sandia National Laboratories
E-mail: clatwoo@sandia.gov