Actua 2100

From: Terry Wohlers (73417.1465@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 1996 - 02:13:54 EET

Dave Flynn wrote:

> I've been reading a lot of talk on this list which looks mostly like
> speculation about the Actua 2100. Have any of you actually seen this
> machine?

Dave - I've seen it and I agree 100 percent with your comments and those from
Karl Denton.

> With regards to the questioning of the value of "rapid concept modeling"

Just yesterday, I visited a manufacturer of world class products (as measured
by product quality and reputation) and I met with key staff from their product
design group. As users of RP for rapid concept modeling, they explained to me
that they want to produce as many iterations as possible within a specific
period of time. The more, the better, ... and the faster the machine, the
better. High precision *is not* important during the early phase of the design
process.

> Another one I like is: "If a picture is worth a thousand words, then
> a model is worth a thousand pictures" (Tom K., Amp, I think).

Put another way, as stated by Richard Eason (UK), if a picture is worth a
thousand words, an RP part is worth a book.

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associate