JTEC/WTEC RP Workshop (Mar. 7 '96) -- pls. forward

From: Clinton L Atwood (clatwoo%878smtp.pdl.sandia.gov@sass165.sandia.gov)
Date: Tue Feb 13 1996 - 00:27:57 EET

From: SBG@LOYOLA.EDU at hubsmtp
Date: 2/12/96 4:02PM
*To: clatwoo@sandia.gov at hubsmtp
*To: bchern@nsf.gov at hubsmtp
*To: wcoblenz@arpa.mil at hubsmtp
*To: zpk@arpa.mil at hubsmtp
*To: knarayan@nsf.gov at hubsmtp
*To: fbp@cdr.stanford.edu at hubsmtp
*To: walters@cdr.stanford.edu at hubsmtp
*To: AubinRF@utrc.utc.com at hubsmtp
*To: Robert_Brown@gillette.com at hubsmtp
*To: jbeaman@mcl.cc.utexas.edu at hubsmtp
*To: lightman@udri.udayton.edu at hubsmtp
*To: sachs@mit.edu at hubsmtp
*To: lew@cs.cmu.edu at hubsmtp
*To: 70732.1355@compuserve.com at hubsmtp
*To: wozny@cme.nist.gov at hubsmtp
*To: fussell_ps@atc.alcoa.com at hubsmtp
*To: pherer@nsf.gov at hubsmtp
*To: mwhite@nsf.gov at hubsmtp
*To: kreisman@er.doe.gov at hubsmtp
*To: bkramer@nsf.gov at hubsmtp
*To: kusuda@cais.com at hubsmtp
*To: wachter@itd.nrl.navy.mil at hubsmtp
*To: fishmas@onrhq.onr.navy.mil at hubsmtp
*To: James.VanFleet@dp.doe.gov at hubsmtp
*To: Larry.James@oer.doe.gov at hubsmtp
*To: mahartfel@mmm.com at hubsmtp
*To: 73417.1465@compuserve.com at hubsmtp
*To: sara.dillich@hq.doe.gov at hubsmtp
*To: sid.diamond@hq.doe.gov at hubsmtp
Subject: JTEC/WTEC RP Workshop (Mar. 7 '96) -- pls. forward

Text item: ATTACH01.TXT

JTEC/WTEC Workshop on Rapid Prototyping
in Japan and Europe
March 7, 1996
The American Institute of Architects ,
1735 New York Ave., NW, Washington, DC

PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO ANY INTERESTED PARTIES

Japanese Technology Evaluation Center
Ocher House
Loyola College
4501 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21210

Dear Colleague:

You are invited to the JTEC/WTEC Workshop on Rapid
Prototyping in Japan and Europe, to be held
March 7, 1996, at The American Institute of
Architects, 1735 New York Ave., NW, Washington,
DC--near the Old Executive Office Bldg.and the
Corcoran Art Gallery. Registration will begin at
8:15 AM, with proceedings beginning at 9:00.
Coffee will be available.

Flexibility and "time to market" have become
increasingly critical factorsin manufacturing
competitiveness. Rapid prototyping plays a key
role in both areas--by allowing limited numbers of
new products to be designed and built quickly.
And the emergence of new tools and technologies for
rapid prototyping promises ever more rapid and
efficient design and manufacturing of products,
processes, and systems.

Sponsors at NSF, DoE, ARPA, ONR, and DoC asked
JTEC/WTEC to assemble a panel of U.S. experts to
find out how American industry stacks up interna-
tionally in the development and use of rapid
prototyping technologies. Those experts visited
firms, universities, organizations, and government
agencies in Japan (23 sites) and select European
countries (12 sites)--places where we expected to
find the most interesting and important foreign
developments in RP. (See below for a list of sites
visited.) Our panelists are now putting together
their final report and are ready to share their
findings and insights with both the U.S. and
international RP communities.

To reserve a seat, please print out the form below
and mail it back to us. Or you can RSVP via FAX
(410-617-5123) or email (cmf@loyola.edu on Internet);
include your full name, address, and phone number.
You can also register on the JTEC/WTEC WWW server:
http://itri.loyola.edu. A $25 registration fee covers
refreshments, presentation materials, and a copy of
the final report.

Sincerely,

Michael J. DeHaemer, Ph.D.
Director, JTEC/WTEC

___ YES, I/we would like to attend the JTEC/WTEC
Workshop on Rapid Prototyping in Japan and Europe
and receive a copy of the final report (send JTEC
a $25.00 check made out to "Loyola College" in advance
or pay atthe door).

___ NO, I/we cannot attend, but would like to reserve
a copy of the final report (send JTEC a $25.00 check
made out to "Loyola College" at address shown above).

___ NO, I/we cannot attend, but please notify me/us
when the final report becomes available. (Post-
publication price will be $50.)

Name(s): _____________________________________

Address Correction: __________________________

Phone: _______________________________________

Please mail to:

Trina Foley
JTEC/WTEC Program
Loyola College
4501 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210-2699

Draft Agenda

 8:15 Registration (Coffee)
 9:00 Welcome (DeHaemer, JTEC/WTEC)
 9:15 Introduction (Prinz, Stanford)
 9:45 RP Process Overview (Weiss, Carnegie Mellon)
10:15 Needs, Goals, Objectives (Brown, Gillette)
10:45 Materials (Fussell, Alcoa)
      Plastics (Fussell; Aubin, UTRC)
      Metals (Beaman, Texas-Austin; Fussell; Sachs, MIT)
      Ceramics (Lightman, Dayton; Aubin, Sachs)
12:00 Lunch
 1:00 CAD & Interfaces (Wozny, NIST)
 1:30 Machine Design (Sachs)
 2:00 Applications (Aubin)
      Castings (Atwood, Sandia)
      Tooling (Aubin, Sachs, Fussell)
      Medical (Lightman)
 3:00 Historical Perspective (Beaman)
 3:30 Conclusion (Prinz)
 4:00 Q&A
 4:30 Adjournment

Sites (People) Visited In Japan, Germany, And France

***Japan***
Teijin Seiki
CMET/Asahi Denka
Kira Corp.