3d Textures in Stl models

From: Zedand00@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 13 1996 - 22:49:26 EET

Dear rp-ml,

Ilsang Yoo writes,

"I will want to obtain the contour data from the 3 dimensional solid model
designed in PRO/E or I-DEAS and then to apply the contour data to SLS machine
to build a prototype. it is called as "Direct Slicing".

I have to do so but i don't know how to do so. Please tell me the any ,if
possible, detailed information about it."

Dear Ilsand Yoo,

If I understand what you are trying to accomplish I can share some
information with you.

The Problem:

To get actual textures of a scanned object or built in cad object to affect
the 3d Geometry of a STL file so that the final STL object will be textured
in the same way.

(There are other manifestations of this problem related to the creation of
"texture" in stl models.)

The solution

none that are easy.

I have been trying to accomplish exactly what you've described for about 1
year now. There are some ways to do it manually which are not precise and
create an awkward product. All are somewhat manual. Before I describe these
ways to you, Are you interested in this level of difficulty?

Also I would very much appreciate it if you or anyone could inform me of any
products that do what you described, namely alter the geometry of cad objects
on their skins in a way that creates those textures in a rapid prototyping
model.

Michael Rees
Sculptor