STL format

From: Terry Wohlers (73417.1465@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 1996 - 02:25:51 EET

Peter Gien wrote:

> OK, would the original perpertrator of the STL format please
> identify yourself!

I understand you are joking, but you might be interested in knowing that David
Albert, PhD, of Albert Consulting Group is the individual responsible for the
STL format. I've worked with him a little in the past and he's good guy. 3D
Systems contracted with David to create the format. Years ago, he explained
that the faceted format was the lowest common denominator among CAD systems,
making it the most practical approach. While I agreed 100 percent with this
decision back in the 1986 timeframe, the format could have been structured
slightly more efficiently. (Don't tell Dave I said this! <grin>) You can
reach him at 70324.3274@compuserve.com. It's been a couple of years since I've
used his address, so I don't know if it's still valid.

Terry Wohlers

Wohlers Associates
OakRidge Business Park
1511 River Oak Drive