Re: Proposed new rule

From: House, Michael A. x4662 (housema1@aeropo1.aeronet.jhuapl.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 12 1996 - 16:38:00 EET

     I have been a member of this list for almost a year now and have looked
at almost every message. My interest in the list is two fold. 1) Being a
mechanical systems engineers, I have been interested for a decade in the
application and advancement of rapid prototyping systems. 2) We are
developing a new process to laser fuse metal powders into near shapes.

      I rarely participate by writing or replying to messages since we are
not actively using an existing technology and much of the information is
superfluous to me. I have looked, or ar least glanced, at every message
that has been posted. Those that are of interest I read more carefully and
retain if appropriate. Others, I discard immediately because they offer no
relevant information to me. I feel that every message posted on this list
has merit except for one type ---- the flamers!

     There has been a lot of good dialogue regarding appropriateness of
messages etc... especially regarding using the list as an active marketing
tool! Some of the most important information for me is new systems,
prices, etc.. which keep those of us on the outskirts of the technology
arena well informed. To those who don't like marketing on this list -----
I would suggest that you post your criticism in a constructive manner and
simply discard the irrelevant (EG. marketing-sales-etc...) information
  ------ FLAMING is not constructive, it burns everyone; we spend more
time containing the fire and less addressing the issue.

     I think the idea of a "Yellow Pages" or vendors list for marketing,
product announcements, prices, etc. is very good ---- this essentially
exists anyway on the WWW. However, we should allow announcements of
enhancements, new products, etc... to continue on this list (maybe without
pricing, sales info etc.). I suggest that the announcements posted on this
list can be marketing oriented and direct the reader to a Point of Contact
(POC) at the respective company, be it a WWW address, phone number, fax
number, or mailing address ---- then the real sales effort can begin.

Michael A. House
Mechanical Systems Engineer
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Laurel MD, 20723