3D Sensor for Reverse Engineering

From: Terry T. Wohlers (73417.1465@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed May 15 1996 - 17:32:15 EEST

Hong Ding wrote:

> We are currently looking for a 3D Sensor (e.g.,
> laser scanner) package for our reverse engineering
> applications. The requirements include:

> 1) being able to digitize 300x300x300 (mmxmmxmm);
> 2) producing STL and IGES files with good quality;
> 3) reasonable scanning speed;
> 4) price around US$40-50k.

Hong - Take a look at Cyberware's product line. They are argubly the most
developed in the industry. You can reach Steve Addleman, vice president, at
steve@cyberware.com, or David Addleman, president, at david@cyberware.com.
Except for price, at least one of their products fit your criteria. Keep your
eyes and ears open for a new digitizing system from them in the summer
timeframe.

Also consider laser digitizing products from Digibotics (Austin, TX) and Laser
Design (Minneapolis, MN). I don't have e-mail addresses for them with me.
Systems from these companies produce data one point at a time, while Cyberware
captures several thousand points simultaneously by illuminating a line of light
on the object. All three use a data acquisition technique called laser
triangulation.

Hope this information is helpful.

Terry Wohlers