RE: SLA 250 laser remelts.

From: Stahlhut, Todd A. (stahlht@po2.nawc-ad-indy.navy.mil)
Date: Tue May 21 1996 - 14:46:00 EEST

>Lee Humphrey of Lockheed Martin - Orlando wrote...

>We have been doing more remelts also lately. We have put in a
>UPS system put I do not think that that is a driving issue.

After we installed our UPS system a couple of years ago - we noticed that
our lasers were lasting much longer - 4500-6000 hours versus 2000-3000
hours. Don't know if it has a impact on frequency of remelts though.

>Double remelts seem to help also although I do not have data
>to back it up.

We have always been told to do triple remelts as follows:

   1) Hit reset button and wait to hear laser fan kick back in
   2) Hit reset button again and wait to hear fan kick in
   3) Hit reset button again

   4) after fan kicks in - monitor laser power until it stablizes
       and then initiate build.

Hope this helps... Regards, Todd Stahlhut