Re: digitizing

From: VandenBerg, Bert (BERT.VANDENBERG@nrc.ca)
Date: Mon Jun 03 1996 - 22:38:00 EEST

The method takes as input point data from any sort of input device.
 Typically the
idea is to reduce the time required to produce an accurate part, while
occasionally a more accurate part (with less attention to cost) is the
issue.

If you care about a few features, you need to measure enough points to
characterize their shape. If you care about the entire part's volumetric
error then lots of data is a good idea. Any sort of point gathering device
can be used. Clearly the improvements to the shape cannot be more
accurate than the data-inaccuracy.

      Bert van den Berg
      Integrated Manufacturing Technologies Institute
      National Research Council of Canada
      bert.vandenberg@nrc.ca