Re: Chroming STL Parts

From: Dan Sammons (dpt@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 1996 - 16:59:37 EEST

Wilhelm,
possible for you to include our company with the paper providing
details of the process. We certainly appreciate your help with this
matter.

Thank you in advance.

Dan Sammons
Design Prototyping Technologies
8 Adler Drive
East Syracuse, New York 13057
315-434-1869(voice) 315-433-2317(fax) DPT@ix.netcom.com(email)

You wrote:

>Hi Ross,
>
>we do tests of plating STL-parts with different metals (chrome,
coppper, etc.)
>and also different low temperature processes like PVD since about 3
years
>and got some quite good results. However, they depend on many
parameters
>(e.g. resin, post-curing) which require a thorough investigation each.
We also
>set up a special research project at the University of Stuttgart 2
years ago
>to learn more about the 'secrets' of RP parts and plating processes.
>If you send your full address I could provide a paper with more
details.

>Best regards
>Wilhelm
-----
>------------------
>
>>I have a customer that is asking us to chrome plate or vacuum
metalize a
>>StereoLithography part that would go on an automotive mockup. Does
anyone
>>have any experience with doing this with STL and can you give me
references
>>to what companies have this capability and if they have any
experience with
>>the STl resins. Also, can this process be done on LOM parts?
>>
>>Ross Gates
>>Select Mfg. Services
>>ross@selecteng.com

>Dr. Wilhelm Steger
>
>Fraunhofer-Institut fuer Produktionstechnik und Automatisierung (FhG
IPA)