Re: Expansion of LOM parts

From: Steve_Farentinos (sfarenti@chaph.usc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 18 1996 - 14:19:27 EEST

William G. Noack wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Does anyone who uses LOM experience problems with part growth? Has
> anyone conducted controlled studies to document the changes? Are there
> coatings that prevent/minimize expansion? Any help on this topic is
> appreciated.

Bill,

We have spent countless hours trying to document and control part growth on
LOM. The growth is due to the absorbtion of moisture by the paper during
and after the build. Each paper type has its own characteristics with
respect to moisture and the shape of the part (surface area relative to
volume) can have an effect as well. We usually compensate for this growth
by scaling the STL file prior to building. Also, it is important to seal
the part immediatley after decubing.

Also, there are build materials available now that do not absorb water.

Steve

--
Steve Farentinos
PML, Inc.