Re: Multi-directional build-up by Laser Generating

From: Chris McArdle (cmca@SNET.Net)
Date: Wed Jun 19 1996 - 22:31:53 EEST

Roland -

Are you familiar with a company in the US called Intergraph? Here is a
site and info I read recently.
Please keep in touch. I am very interested in the work you are doing.

http://www.oas.omron.com/digest/d110695.html

 6. Intergraph Corp. of Huntsville, Ala., is offering Solid Edge, its next-
  generation computer-aided design (CAD) software for mechanical assembly
  and part modeling. Solid Edge brings the performance of expensive,
  proprietary CAD systems to an open, easy-to-use, and cost-effective software
  architecture. The product is the result of Intergraph's advanced-capability
  Jupiter technology. Priced at $5,995, Solid Edge will be available for
  customer shipment by the end of 1995. Intergraph also announced support
  from 18 ASIC and FPGA vendors and 12 design consulting agencies for its
  VeriBest design software product line. The third release of the line is
Version
  14.0 and includes non-linear delay modeling in the built-in static timing
  analysis for synthesis, VHDL synthesis, support of LPM 2.0.1, and integration
  with leading FPGA and ASIC implementation tools. VeriBest Synthesis is
  available now on Windows NT and SunOS starting at $24,000. VeriBest
  Simulator, available now for Windows NT, SunOS and HP/UX, begins at
  $15,000, with VeriBest Design Capture available for all supported operating
  systems at a starting price of $3,500.
  Source: Electronic News, Vol. 41, No. 2089, October 30, 1995, p40

>Hello,
>
>I am a student working on my thesis at the University of Twente, Department
>of Mechanical Engineering, Laboratory of Mechanical Automation (Holland).
>We are doing research on laser generating, a fairly new way of producing
>fully functional metallic parts. The way we do this is by melting powder
>onto a metal plate with a Nd:YAG laser. The product is manipulated by a
>6-axis robot, but currently only three are being used. This is still done by
>using the conventional one-directional layering technique. What we have in
>mind for the future is a multi-directional build-up, so we don't need
>support structures.
>What I would like to know is where I can find more information about
>advanced three-dimensional build-up and links to 'conventional' rapid
>prototyping software.
>
>Some more info:
>I have written a Windows program that can read Ascii and Binary STL, display
>the products, slice the product in one given direction with specified layer
>thickness, scan those slices in various ways (zigzag, zig, multiple
>inclinations) like done in pocket machining, and write everything to a
>ISO-code file for input in the NC-program that controls the laser and the
>robot (powdercontrol will be added)
>

>For questions, suggestions or information
>mail me:
>r.j.m.smeenk@student.utwente.nl
>
>Greetings Roland

Best regards,

Chris

Chris McArdle
cmca@snet.net
203.853.4961 (vox)
203.853.4971 (fax)

"I have preached the right of the individual to indulge his personal faith
at his personal risk. I have discussed the kinds of risk; I have contended
that none of us escape all of them; and I have only pleaded that it is
better to face them open-eyed than to act as if we did not know them to be
there."
- William James