Re: Lawsuit charges DTM Corporation

From: Dick Newton - Ford (newton@rrm.org)
Date: Mon Jun 24 1996 - 16:13:27 EEST

> I think the original suit must be related specifically to the nylon powder,
> its formulation and manufacture or its use. I would also like further
> information - in particular regarding the 'exhorbitant prices' comment. As a
> matter of fact I would like comment from everyone regarding the price of
> materials for all RP processes- why are they so expensive (or do you find
> them to be cheap)?

It is my understanding that one of the nylon powders that DTM sells is
typically used as a paint additive. Midwest Composite Technologies was
purchasing this powder directly from the manufacturer of the powder at
a price of about 1/3 that which DTM charges. DTM contended that the use
of this powder (the same powder that they were re-selling) was in
violation of one or more of DTM patents. DTM threated Midwest Composite
Technologies with legal action if they did not sign a legal agreement
stating they would not purchase nylon direct from the manufacturer and
would notify DTM of all materials used in their machine.

This is my recollection of what was going on in this dispute as it was
described to me at the last DTM user's group meeting. DTM also stated
that purchase of the powder from DTM carried with it an implied license
of DTM's materials patents.

Does anyone know what DTM's material patents cover? Someone told me that
it covers all crystaline materials.