Re2: rp-ml

From: Chris McArdle (cmca@SNET.Net)
Date: Mon Jun 24 1996 - 23:06:26 EEST

Look, maybe it's easier for some of us than others, but it isn't any more
difficult for anybody than getting Eudora and using it.

And, there are probably other solutions that I personally am not familiar with.

Rather than have a holy war about how rp-ml _outht_ to do this, figure out
how _you_ can make it work the way it is being done.

Alternatively, someone else could voluntarily publish a digest or whatever,
and we'll all subscribe.

For me, having the mail come in directly is quite convenient, at least at
this stage.

>>In a message dated 96-06-20 22:18:19 EDT, you write:
>>> Subj: rp-ml
>>> Date: 96-06-20 22:18:19 EDT
>>> From: igibson@hkucc.hku.hk (Ian Gibson)
>>> Sender: owner-rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi
>>> To: rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi
>>Mail programs can be set up differently. My mail (AOL-definitely NOT the
>>greatest) gives me the above "short" header, with a full nasty detail
>header
>>at the bottom of the message. A reply does go to rp-ml, but the short
>header
>>clearly indicates the author....
>
>>Rob Lloyd
>>reml@aol.com
>
>To me, as I sit behind some kind of firewall, the header of your message
>looks like this:
>>From: REML @ SMTP (REML) {rp-adm@bart.lpt.fi}
>>To: rp-ml @ SMTP (rp-ml) {rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi}
>
>As you see, your original address disappeared.
>I know I am not the only one who is suffering from such
>misconfigurations.
>
>Anyway, with over 1000 subscribers and heavy traffic (had over 40 mails
>after one day office leave),
>I suggest:
>1.) To let EVERYBODY write his/her e-mail address below their message, as
>you did.
>2.) To convert rp-ml into a Usenet newsgroup. (PC-based newsreaders are
>now easily available; there is Newsagent from Forte, or you can use
>Netscape news).
>3.) To distribute a daily digest via e-mail
>4.) To find mechanisms that will make it possible to use the full
>functionality of the new rp-ml newsgroup via e-mail, so people with no
>other Internet access than e-mail could participate like in the old days.
>
>Do others want this, too ?
>Is this technically possible ?
>Would the guys in Finland be able & willing to go for it ?
>
>With kind regards, Juergen Bauer

>Dipl. Ing. Juergen Bauer, Bremen Institute of Industrial Technology and
>Applied Work Science (BIBA), P.O. Box 33 05 60, 28 335 Bremen,
>Germany,
>Phone: +49/421/218-5595, Fax: +49/421/218-5510, Email:
>bau@biba.uni-bremen.de,
>http://www.biba.uni-bremen.de/users/bau/bau.html

Best regards,

Chris

Chris McArdle
cmca@snet.net
203.853.4961 (vox)
203.853.4971 (fax)

"I have preached the right of the individual to indulge his personal faith
at his personal risk. I have discussed the kinds of risk; I have contended
that none of us escape all of them; and I have only pleaded that it is
better to face them open-eyed than to act as if we did not know them to be
there."
- William James