Java

From: Michael Rees (zedand00@sound.net)
Date: Sun Jul 07 1996 - 20:08:47 EEST

I wonder if anyone in the rp world is thinking about java and how it
might affect the way that rp and mechanical cad design operates. I
wonder if we will have the opportunity to download applets of our choice
and construct custom 3d programs. Also, seeing that the java code could
be in any rp machine and that machine hooked to the net, what
implications does that have? It suggests some interesting fuctionality
but then we are going to count on the net (network outage, sever
unavailable) to manage our software. Are the phone lines really going to
be there?

Is anyone else afraid as I am that java and the applets are just going
to become another water bill scenario. For example if your short on cash
this month and don't pay your cad bill, your program will be cancelled
until such time...

--
Michael Rees
sculptor