Re: Two questions:

From: ckirsch@ces.clemson.edu
Date: Fri Jul 05 1996 - 23:20:57 EEST

> From: John Dickinson <dickijk@bille.ppc.engga.uwo.ca>
>
> Okay, One of these questions is a little off subject but it will be quick.
>
> Is 3D systems in the public market? (on a stock exchange?)
>
> This is more for this group:
> Who is working on developing a new standard for file formats to replace
> the STL format?
> What papers have been published on this?
>
> I am doing a lit review and any pointers would be appreciated.

First, your stock symbols:
3D tdsc
Stratasys ssys
Helisys heli
Soligen sgt
DTM about to IPO

Now, the references.
STEP:
RPI Format:
  http://cat.rpi.edu/~rocks/

VRML:
  http://www.biba.uni-bremen.de/docs/users/bau/s2v.html
  http://design.eng.clemson.edu/dmg/projects/Ivecs.html

NURBS
  http://design.eng.clemson.edu/papers/RP_papers.html

Also CLI and some of the other formats can be accessed
through:
  http://design.eng.clemson.edu/rp/rp.html

Now, if you don't want to stop at the easy references and
want to do some work,

Brock Rooney proposed the STH file format I believe at Dayton,
but I don't know which year (Any help here Brock?)

Sanders did accept HPGL, references abound

A paper at Austin in either 93 or 94 about Nurbs from a U in
the midwest (wow - that is a sketchy memory!) - this paper
was extremely low in information because they wanted to sell
the work as well as publish. The usual have-your-cake-and-eat-
it-too. The authors may have actually published some reasonable
information later, and it is probably worth a follow-up.

The SLC format is available directly from 3D Systems

This should get you started. You may also wish to check out
the archives for the RP mailing list at

  http://bart.lpt.fi/archives/rp-ml/

for a long discussion of this a while back. Look especially for
Brock's comments which is fairly detailed and the comments around them.

chuck

Chuck Kirschman ckirsch@eng.clemson.edu
http://www.eng.clemson.edu/~ckirsch/
"I don't NEED to compromise my principles, because they don't have the
 slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." - Calvin