Re: Converting Scan Data to Solids

From: Mose Necchio (mose@eur.autodesk.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 1996 - 11:39:52 EEST

Subject: Converting Scan Data to Solids
Author: Terry Wohlers <73417.1465@compuserve.com> at ccgate
Date: 29/07/96 19.17

Greg Pettengill wrote:

> I have a client that wants to convert scanned organic shapes into
> solid CAD models or surface models that can be used in a CAM system.
> What kind of software would you recommend to do this and why?

Greg - The exact steps you take depend on the format of the point data. If
it's ordered and formated correctly, Surfcam from Surfware (Westlake Village,
California) can import it and create spline curves through which you can loft
machinable surfaces. I did it years ago, and at the time, it was
straightforward.