what to charge

From: Joseph DeGuglielmo (L) (jfdegug@Kodak.COM)
Date: Thu Aug 15 1996 - 17:57:23 EEST

Although I do not use quick cast that much I can offer my position on resin and labor
charges. We have belabored for years on the correct/best charge method and I think we
will forever. At any rate what we did for a while is simply way the can of resin before
and after a build. The difference is what was used and this is what we charged. Agreed
this method will not work once we all have auto fill bottles. We have been charging by
machine hours for some time now instead of labor hours. At first by guess and then
latter from experience.

Now, what I have done was to calculate the average laser power over one year in our
machine (each one), sum up the total hours for each machine for the same year, and
we kept track of resin usage, from this we came up with a average draw speed. We now can
calculate the volume, layer thickness, and height of a part and GUESTIMATE the build
time. The thing is it really isn't accurate because a new laser builds faster than a old
one but on average we hoped it would even out. It was the only way I could figure out
that was consistant from part to part. It is kinda convoluted but it seems to work. At
that point I can factor out costs and come up with a hourly rate.

There must be a better way! WHAT IS IT!!!!!

Please share your methods.

--

Regards,

Joe DeGuglielmo Eastman Kodak Company Rapid Prototyping Center 901 Elmgrove Rd. Rochester, NY 14653-5315 (716)-726-7046 jfdegug@kodak.com