Re: what to charge

From: Guy Allen Brady (galbrady@engin.umich.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 15 1996 - 20:42:34 EEST

Joseph DeGuglielmo (L) wrote:

> There must be a better way! WHAT IS IT!!!!!
>
> Please share your methods.

Well, I'm not in the service business, so y'all can take this for what
it's worth:
        1)Charge laser time from the build.log file from each build. Amortize
the cost of a laser over the warrantied life and estimate the cost/hr.
        2)Charge resin costs by weighing the platform (with the part+supports)
after each build (knowing the weight of the clean platform, of course).
Now, for one build that might have several parts for multiple customers,
you might weigh each part+supports and add a small factor (~2%) for
excess lost resin on platform, part surfaces, etc. If you only have the
volume of the part (in cm^3), multiply the density of cured resin
(SL5170 = 1.215 g/cm^3 - see Resin Data Supplement, Cibatool SL5170 P/N
18840-S10-00 Rev. A, Ciba Geigy Corporation) to get the weight of resin,
multiply this by the cost of resin to get the cost per part. Remember
that the cured resin is more dense than the uncured resin, so don't use
1.14g/cc (for SL5170), or you'll shortchange yourself!

I'm not familiar with QuickCast and if it will generate a true "volume"
of resin - Anyone out there know?
        I'm sure as time goes by, one could get pretty good at just looking at
a file and coming to within $1.39 without touching a calculator.

--
          G. Allen Brady  --  Graduate Research Assistant
Materials Science and Engineering - The University of Michigan