Resin Cost

From: Terry T. Wohlers (73417.1465@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 1996 - 23:07:41 EEST

Lynda Hurley wrote:

> What I really want to know, and maybe I did not make myself quite clear, is do
you break out the charge between resin and labor when charging a customer, and
if so what calculations do you use when you have volume or KG of the part to
determine the cost of the resin.

Why is this important? While resin is not inexpenisve, it's my understanding
that it is a relatively small part of the cost of building an RP part. Years
ago, Vern Schmidt of Chrysler carefully studied all of the costs associated with
part building. His report showed that the resin represents a very small
(almost insignificant) percentage of the total. I'll look it up when I get back
to the office. Of course, you need to charge for it to recoop this cost, but
why not bury it?

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.