The Monday Morning Mail Explosion!

From: Seppo J Niemi (zaphod@bart.lpt.fi)
Date: Mon Aug 19 1996 - 10:21:16 EEST

Greetings,

as you all have noticed, we experienced some...er, minor difficulties
with the list during the weekend.

The problem was that we ran out of disk space on the mail queue and
that caused sendmail to start re-sending every message that was queued
at that point.

When I got to work this morning, I fixed the disk space problem and
manually removed all the messages that were queued for re-sending. I
also had to remove all the mails sent to rp-adm (The list
administrator account, handled by Hannu Kaikonen) because the mailbox
had grown to over 30 megs with almost 7000 messages.

Now things are more or less back to normal.

What a great way to start a week!

//zaphod