Re: New RP system

From: M. Burns (marshall@ennex.com) ((marshall@ennex.com))
Date: Fri Sep 06 1996 - 22:47:10 EEST

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996 SIBCOINC@aol.com wrote:
> There was an article in the Rapid Prototyping News on A new Rapid Prototyping
> system that uses an "offset printing" similar process. Is some one familiar
> with the system and any detailed documentation offered by the inventor. Is
> the system commercialized?
> Sincerely,
> ALi Siblani

Dear Ali,

     I believe you are referring to our new process announced last month
at the Austin conference and described in the August issue of the Rapid
Prototyping Report. The name of the process is Conveyed-Adherent(TM)
autofab, and we call the machine that does it the Genie(TM) fabricator.
To answer your questions, I attach a file that describes the technology
briefly. For further information, including pictures of fabricated
objects, please contact me.

     The Genie fabricator is not yet commercially available. We are
currently seeking development partners and flagship customers to help us
take this technology to the next stage.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com

** Ennex(TM) Fabrication Technologies **
** FABRICATING THE FUTURE (TM) **
******* *******
** 10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024 **
** Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700 Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185 **
** E-Mail: fabbers@ennex.com **

A New Fabricator Technology . . .

 CONVEYED-ADHERENT(TM) AUTOFAB

     A Conveyed-Adherent fabricator turns the process of automated
fabrication (autofab) inside-out in order to simplify and speed it up. A
Conveyed-Adherent fabricator breaks up the fabrication process into two
separate steps: the formation of a sequence of thin "skins" representing
cross sections of the desired object to be built, and the successive
bonding of these skins to one another to form the required shape and
structure. Conveyed-Adherent autofab takes advantage of mature
two-dimensional technologies from the printing, surface marking, and
book-binding industries in order to do its three-dimensional magic with
precision, speed, and amazing economy.

     A Conveyed-Adherent fabricator brings a whole set of operating
advantages to the fabricator industry that were previously unheard of:
          * The speed of working with preformed sheet materials and
running parallel skin formation and bonding stages.
          * Material versatility, allowing fabrication in plastics,
metals, ceramics, and advanced composites, either one at a time or
side-by-side.
          * A clean, dry operating environment, allowing the formation of
hollow voids and the embedding or casting of variegated materials into the
fabricated structure in process.
          * The ability to scale the process up to build very large
objects. Large objects can be made in thicker skins with angled edges,
allowing very high-speed and smooth-surfaced fabrication.

     The Conveyed-Adherent process has been implemented in a working
prototype called the Genie(TM) fabricator, named for the mythical Arabic
deity that could grant the object of any desire to its owner. The new
fabricator technology has been under development for over four years by
Ennex Fabrication Technologies, an innovative technology development
company dedicated to fabricators and their applications. Ennex Fabrication
was founded by Marshall Burns, an internationally recognized authority on
fabricators, author of Automated Fabrication (Prentice Hall, 1993), and a
keynote speaker in the U.S., Europe, and Japan. Ennex Fabrication is
seeking development partners and flagship customers to help it take this
important new technology to the next stage.

     For further information, contact

** Ennex(TM) Fabrication Technologies **
** FABRICATING THE FUTURE (TM) **
** 10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024 **
** Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700 Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185 **
** E-Mail: fabbers@ennex.com **

Copyright (cİ 1996, Ennex Corp. All rights reserved.

The Conveyed-Adherent process and mechanism are covered
by U.S. patent number 5,514,232 and other U.S. and international patents
applied for. "Conveyed-Adherent," "Genie," and "Fabricating the Future"
are trademarks of Ennex Fabrication Technologies. "Ennex" is a trademark
of Ennex Corp.