Conveyed-Adherent process

From: M. Burns (marshall@ennex.com) ((marshall@ennex.com))
Date: Thu Oct 03 1996 - 05:40:03 EEST

   *** NOTICE: This message discusses a newly-announced process, and is
   submitted by the developer. It is intended to be technical, but it may be
   interpreted by some to be a commercial message. ***

Dear RP-World,

     Several people have asked about how our new fabricator process
compares with LOM. There is really one point of similarity: that we also
use a sheet-form material as the feedstock. Everything else is different.

     What is unique about the Conveyed-Adherent process, as compared to
all other processes, not just LOM, is that we form the 2-D cross-sections
separately and then convey them into position for bonding to form the
desired object. This simplifies the process and allows us to take
advantage of mature technologies for forming 2-D images and for
registering sequences of images to each other. This, in turn, will allow
the resulting fabricators to be manufactured inexpensively, and to be
scaled up to build very large objects.

     With respect to the LOM specifically, this means that we *cut first*
and then bond the cut patterns in sequence, whereas the LOM bonds
successive sheets of material, and then cuts patterns into the bonded sheets.

     In our current implementation of the process, we cut with a knife,
and bonding is done by a pressure-sensitive adhesive with no application
of heat.

     I would be most interested in other people's thoughts about this
analysis, either publicly or privately. I intend this message to be
factual and would like to know if anyone disgrees with my statements here.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com

** Ennex(TM) Fabrication Technologies **
** FABRICATING THE FUTURE (TM) **
** 10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024 **
** Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700 Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185 **
** E-Mail: fabbers@ennex.com **