Re: Conveyed-Adherent process

From: M. Burns (marshall@ennex.com) ((marshall@ennex.com))
Date: Thu Oct 03 1996 - 22:46:17 EEST

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Berndt Holmer wrote:

> > What is unique ...
> > ...is that we form the 2-D cross-sections
> >separately and then convey ...
>
> This is not unique. The Sparx system, shown at Autofact in 1991, works
> along the same lines.

Dear Berndt,

     You are correct. In fact Schroff Development in Kansas (USA) now
markets another system similar to Sparx', called the JP 5. However, these
machines are only semi-automated, and require a substantial involvement
of the operator in the process. Our process is fully automated and
requires no attention after submitting the CAD file.

> In all other respects I agree. Separating the layer shaping and the bonding
> position-wise is a potentially powerful principle. Unfortunately, although
> Sparx was a typical (and early) example, the system hasn't been successful
> commercially.

     I believe the labor requirement was a fatal problem for Sparx and
similar systems. People want to avoid tedious labor; they want the
fabricator to do the whole thing for them.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com

** Ennex(TM) Fabrication Technologies **
** FABRICATING THE FUTURE (TM) **
** 10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024 **
** Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700 Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185 **
** E-Mail: fabbers@ennex.com **