RE: Epoxy Resin Stability Question

From: Kamesh Tata (ktata@proex.com)
Date: Thu Oct 03 1996 - 23:29:57 EEST

        Bronson Hokuf wrote:

Hello;
2 weeks ago Guy Allen Brady posted a question regarding long-term,
Response form the DuPont Somos Solid Imaging Materials Group:
The polymerization will continue within the epoxy resin unless it is
stopped by a stabilizing inhibitor. The primary indicator of epoxy
resin instability is a viscosity change, which typically increases
exponentially with time. Addition of new resin will lower the
viscosity of unstable vat resin and may provide additional
stabilizer. However, the new stabilizer may be quickly consumed
allowing the viscosity to continue to increase. At some time, when
the vat resin viscosity begins to affect build performance, the resin
in the vat should be completely replaced and the vat should be
cleaned.

Bronson R. Hokuf USMail: DuPont Company

Bronson,
Your response to resin stability question is very interesting. Would you please take a few minutes to answer the following question.

Since an increase in viscosity is the primary factor affecting build quality, can we increase resin temperature to bring viscosity down? If yes, how far can we go from resin manufacturer's recommended max. temperature? Any side effects? If this question is too general, could you answer for a specific resin, say, SOMOS 6110 or 7100?
Kamesh

Kamesh Tata
Research Engineer
Plynetics Express, Inc.