Re: Zephyr Blade

From: Steve Deak (ht-grp@cinti.net)
Date: Mon Oct 14 1996 - 23:04:11 EEST

Since there's been renewed discussion of the Zephyr recoating system,
let me add my experiences for our SLA-500/30 (or is it /40?).

We had our Zephyr removed after 3 weeks of unpredictable results. That
makes our SLA the 'Machine formerly known as "SLA-500/40"'. Every blade
crash must be followed by a 3D field Service Engineer resetting the
blade. Can't make parts until an F.E. is available (WOW). 3D spent
several days running window panes, gapcheck, etc with varying results
each time.

Part quality was unpredictable at best. The process window went from a
"picture window" (doctor blade) to a "pin hole" (Zephyr). I have to
make parts, large volumes of parts. Oh, yeah, quality parts, too.
Service Bureaus were getting a good bit of my "backlog," artificially
caused by the slow, unpredictable Zephyr. We ran with published
parameters and 3D system's modified parameters, again with inconsistent
results.

So we took the zephyr blade out, went back to the doctor blade, restored
all our build and resin defaults. We're cranking out good parts again,
like the whole thing never happened.

At least with the doctor blade I know what to expect. I can make
quality parts....trapped volumes, too.

Having fun, as always!!

--
Steve Deak			E-mail: ht-grp@cinti.net
Manager-RP Services		Voice:	(513) 579-3270