Re: LOM advancements

From: Dan Davis (helisys@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 1996 - 19:30:48 EEST

nemeth@MPTW01.mw.tu-dresden.de wrote:
> Does anyone know which sort of improvements has been made on the
> Helisys`s LOM machine? What is the main difference between the LOM2030,
> LOM2030E and LOM2030H?
> Has been made any improvement on the LOM1015?

Dear Karoly:

The differences between the 2030 models are as follows:

2030: has a Roland style plotter for the XY positioning system; the
computer mounted inside the machine, with the heater controls mounted in
the back.

2030E: Upgraded XY positioning system which uses servo motors instead of
stepper motors - allows the use of a circle interpolation feature in the
software to make better, faster curves; upgraded Thompson shafts for the
heater that minimize flex and promote more even bonding; computer is
mounted in a seperate console also containing the laser chiller and
machine controls.

2030H: reverse paper feed (feed paper mounted outside and scrap inside);
improved Z height positioning system - no more slider bearing for this
switch; improved heater assembly - more consistant heat across the width
of the part; stronger frame and improved platform - no need to adjust
platform alignment; improved software for quicker build times.

There is a new XY positioning system coming out for the 1015,
effectively turning it into a "1015E." These will be installed on new
machines in the future (unknown time frame), but I do not yet know about
retrofits for older machines.

Check Helisys' web site for more info - http://www.helisys.com

Hope this helps.

Dan Davis