Re: medical uses of rpml

From: Paul J. Wehner (pwehner@ENGA.BU.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 17 1996 - 19:11:15 EEST

Samit-

The CT to *.stl, *.sli, IGES, etc... conversion is
possible through a few different software packages.
The medical software package that I am
most familiar with is from Materialise.

The medical front end is a program called MIMICS. It
allows the operator to segment, section, and
edit the data set to contain only the structures
that they are interested in modeling. Afterward,
a RP "usable" file {*.STL, IGES, etc.} can be
generated by using either CTM or MedCAD.

The MedCAD route goes via the medical scan data
to surface files {IGES}, which allow the user to make use
of solid modelers {CAD systems} and their
capabilities.

Alternately, the CTM takes the edited contour information
directly from the MIMICS packages and interpolates it to
create files of various formats:

3D Systems SLI or SLC
EOS CLI
Stratasys SLC
Sanders
IGES-polylines
STL

For more information, please either contact me directly or
try the following sources:

Mark Bliek
Materialise USA
6111 Jackson Road
Ann Arbor, MI 68103
tel. 313 662-5057
fax. 313 662 7891
http://www.materialise.com/

Also http://www.pitt.edu/~arlweb/people/jkidder/jkidder.html
has some very interesting Med links.

Sincerely Yours,

Paul J. Wehner
Fraunhofer Resource Center Massachusetts

15 St. Mary's Street tel. 617 353-1836
Boston, MA 02215 fax. 617 353-1896