Re: Resin

From: Kai Loose (kai@postman.riken.go.jp)
Date: Fri Nov 15 1996 - 03:15:47 EET

At 17:42 96/11/14 +0800, you wrote:

>I would like to ask if anyone have any information for any photopolymer
>which can be hardened by visible (red) light.... Actually I know of one
>RP machine by DENKEN, a Japanese company, which is using photopolymers
>which are sensitive to visible laser.
>
>I would like to find out the existence of such a photopolymer first and I
>don't mind much about shrinkage problems. As long as such polymers exist,
>we can try to solve the shrinkage problem.

Wei Meng,

DENKEN (Denken Engineering CO., Ltd.) has two desktop size SLP - Solid LD
Plotter System - machines. The SLP-4000 uses a semiconductor laser. The
wavelength is 680 nm (blue). The SLP-5000 uses a Nd:YAG laser diode. Here,
the wavelength of the light is 946 nm, however, the resin is exposed by 473
nm (second harmonic generation; blue light).

For more information please contact Mr. Hiura at DENKEN; Tel.:
+81-975-36-0078, Fax: +81-975-36-0035
If you can, check out their site URL:
http://www.coara.or.jp/coara/dkslp/my.html. It is a Japanese page. E-mail to
dkslp@fat.coara.or.jp.

The resin cured by the Denken SLPs is provided by Nihon Kayak Co., Tokyo.
The product is called "Kayarad". Contact Mr. Yokoshima (Tel.:
+81-3-3598-5023) or Mr. Isobe (Tel.: +81-3-3598-5111) at the Institute of
Chemical Product Research / Chemical Research Laboratories in Tokyo.

> I guess many people are trying to avoid curing photopolymers by UV laser.

As for Japan, there is no intention to go away from UV light for curing
resins in Stereolithography. To deal with visible light is more difficult,
i.e. the resin and the curing process have to be protected against any
ambient light.

Reagrds,

Kai

Dipl.-Ing. Kai Loose
Department of Research Fundamentals Technology
The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN)
e-mail: kai@postman.riken.go.jp