Re: Medical Models

From: Scott Turner (scott@scicontech.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 1996 - 19:54:37 EET

dla@depuy.com wrote:

> I am looking for very early publications and/or work involving the
> development of physical models of internal anatomical structures
> from Xray, CT, MRI or related data.

One such paper is "The display of 3-D anatomy with stereolithographic
models" SPIE 1232 MEDICAL IMAGING IV, 1990, Nicholas J. Mankovich,
Andrew M. Cheeseman, and Noel G. Stokert.

This paper discribes work which Nick did in cooperation with 3D Systems
in 1989. I was providing technical support from the 3D Systems side of
the project.

> How far back does this technology exist? Who were the pioneers?
> What related patents have been issued?

As far as I am aware there were no patents issued for this work.

> There are several groups that are using CT and MRI to generate SLA
> models of bones, etc. Who were the first ones to complete the
> link between scanning/imaging/Xray and actually being able to pro-
> duce a model?

This was the first anotomical model produced directly from CT data using
3D Systems equipment.

> I worked with Cornell University in the late 1980's as they attemp-
> ted to develop software that would (effectively) generate a CAD model
> from a CT scan. I have found this to be one of the most exciting
> technologies on the RP scene in a long time. Why has it been such
> a slow-starter in the United States?

I have continued this work with Dr. Mankovich after leaving 3D Systems
and starting SCICON Technologies in 1990. Our main obstical to
comercialzation has not been technical or patent related, but purly
financial. We have not figured out how to do this type of work
profitably with the current medical reimbursment in the U.S. today.

> Thanks in advance for the information.
>
> _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
> Daniel Anderson
> DePuy Orthopaedics
> (219)372-7360
> dla@depuy.com
>
> Excess on occasion is exhilarating.
> It prevents moderation from acquiring
> the deadening effect of a habit.
> -- W. Somerset Maugham

If you have any questions or would like a copy of the above article,
please send me you fax #.

--
Scott Turner

SCICON Technologies Corporation scott@scicontech.com Phone:805-295-8630 Fax:805-295-6611