Rapid Prototyping and Reverse Engineering

From: Mark K. Smith (mksmith@rubini.geomagic.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 1996 - 23:28:35 EET

How would the rest of you compare and contrast rapid prototyping and reverse
engineering? Does the rapid prototyping industry include digitizing as part
of the rapid prototyping process? My understanding is as follows:

Reverse engineering:
Original part -> Point data (from digitizing) -> CAD model

Rapid prototyping:
CAD model -> STL file -> Physical prototype

I have been able to find an abundance of information on the rapid
prototyping industry courtesy of Wohlers Associates. In my experience,
nearly all RP service bureaus accept only an STL - they do not digitize.

Does any one have information on the types of service bureaus that would,
according to my definition, be reverse engineering service bureaus?
Finally, any general information, or pointers to information, on the reverse
engineering industry would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Smith
Raindrop Geomagic, Inc.