Re: Rapid Prototyping and Reverse Engineering

From: jim@paramountind.com
Date: Tue Dec 03 1996 - 05:15:48 EET

     Mark... I cannot speak for the RE industry as matter of fact I don't
     know if one exists. Actually they are springing up. Recently our
     system blew its mother board and boy was I desperate. I found a
     service bureau. They sell equipment and was offering the service to
     help introduce their stuff. They were less then helpful when I told
     them when I needed it. So much for service! But I can speak for how
     our company has used RE since 1986 and how we plan to move forward
     with it in light of being able to create surfaced models from the
     collected point data.

     The latter succesess and opportunities are reasonably well known. It
     accomplishes a dream and need we have had since we purchased our first
     seats of SDRC in 1990.

     Prior to Imageware having the Surface module we could not take our 3D
     scanned data into engineering modelers. We tried on several projects
     as far back as 1991 and even toyed with the idea of writing software.
     Since product is what we knew we waited for the Imagewarers of the
     world to emerge.

     Our purpose for having this capability prior to 3D modeling was to
     sculpt, carve or pattern a form using traditional skills for the
     purpose of creating a like object in a different scale and/or a
     different material. Scaling (up or down) was required possibly
     because of tool making requirements or just because our clients wanted
     the product a different scale. (funny bunch) We were able to digitize
     any scale product (limited only by our equipments capacity and our
     inventiveness) and DNC (Direct Numerical Control) to our CNCs. We
     applied this capability to metal tool making, electrodes for the EDM
     process, pattern making for the foundry industry, wax masters for the
     rotational molding industry, licensed consumer products (these on
     occasion need their initial product design or scupltural integrity
     maintained requiring a very accurate reproduction process and this
     meant not re-sculpting the product by hand),

     and finally... we married our traditional skills with the 3D computer
     technologies... (Hope you don't mind a success story)... Our clients
     requirement was to take a sculpted handle for a toothbrush which was
     intended for the children's market and while maintaining the sculpt
     integrity provide their European toolmaker with a 3D model. The
     deliverable was a 3D model of the sculpted handle. The toolmaker,
     like many we're discovering, did not have the traditional pantograph
     toolmaking skills any longer. Further they wanted to make multiple
     electrodes as well as use the data to design the tools. The toolmaker
     was challenged to produce 2 full blown production stainless steel
     rotary molds with 16 cavities each. Our client was in production
     10/01/96. We accepted our first work order 1/03/96 on this project.
     To view "rapid" go to your local drug store and look for Smith Kline
     Beecham's "AquaFresh" product that is bright and colorful with a
     handle shaped like a dinosour.

     I dare say that this is an RP process given the capabilities and the
     industries self-imposed definition of "most" RPrs. But, the answer
     lies in what you want as a deliverable.

     If your intentions are to have something that presently exists,
     without value-add for the application or its intended use, then an RP
     like service bureau may be your solution. If your intended use is
     just to get back a like object, then why are you digitizing it? Is
     the form necessary to have in 3D for a larger assembly or design
     analysis? Or are you digitizing just to get an RP model? (P.S. that's
     the wrong reason) These are important questions which if answered
     correctly may save you time and money. If you need a 3D database for
     tooling then I would not go to anyone that can not prove their
     experience and knowledge in these trades. Why? Because toolmakers are
     another funny bunch that want it their way. If you are attempting to
     recreate the object in a different material, could you not just CNC it
     via DNC?

     Some food for thought or... I bet your sorry you asked!

     Good luck and with regards,
     Jim Williams, CEO
     Paramount Industries, Inc.
     Langhorne, PA