Re: 3D Xerox, 3D fax

From: Ian Gibson (igibson@hkucc.hku.hk)
Date: Thu Dec 05 1996 - 09:37:10 EET

> Well, of course, Terry, you're right. I was speaking conceptually,
>not suggesting that 3-D is yet as convenient as 2-D. We certainly have a
>long way to go for that.
>
>Best regards,
>Marshall Burns
>marshall@ennex.com

We do have a long way to go. But are we making any progress? This idea has
been kicked around for a good number of years now. I put a student project
on it about 3 years ago with no conclusive results (I'm amazed I didn't fail
him). The only point worth noting was that a 3D fax would be a very
different animal from existing RP, requiring high digitising rates, data
compression and fabrication speeds. The trade-off would be elimination of
internal features, larger layer thicknesses, less materials (with poor
material properties) and lower precision.

I do have some other comments but I want to see what others think first.

Regards

IG

Dr Ian Gibson
Dept. Mechanical Engg.
University of Hong Kong
Hong Kong

email: igibson@hkucc.hku.hk
www: http://hkumea.hku.hk/acad_igibson.html
tel: +852 2859 7901
fax: +852 2858 5415

Did you know that the wingspan of a jumbo jet is longer than the first
flight of the Wright brothers?