Re: 3D Xerox, 3D fax

From: M. Burns (marshall@ennex.com) ((marshall@ennex.com))
Date: Thu Dec 05 1996 - 23:47:57 EET

Dear Ian,

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Ian Gibson wrote:
> We do have a long way to go. But are we making any progress? This idea has

     Yes, we are making great progress, although it doesn't always
feel that way in real time. When I addressed the 1992 SLA Users Group I
said that one of the important elements required to participate in the
great adventure of this industry is patience. Markets take time to
develop. Technologies take time to develop. Applications take time to
develop. I'm not talking about the kind of patience where you sit on your
hands waiting for something to happen, but the kind where you work hard
every day in the quiet faith that you know what you're doing and that what
you are working for will come about.

     We will have 3-D copiers and 3-D faxes that will be at least good
enough to work on inanimate objects, but it may be another 5, 10, or 25
years before they work as fast as Terry Wohlers would like them to. In
the meantime, thousands of companies around the world are saving an
aggregate of billions of dollars by using fabricators for rapid
prototyping and rapid tooling.

     Hang in there, Ian. We are progressing. (And you, as co-editor of
the RP Journal, are playing an important role in the communication and
cross-pollination part of that progress.)

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com

** Ennex(TM) Fabrication Technologies **
** FABRICATING THE FUTURE (TM) **
** 10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024 **
** Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700 Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185 **
** E-Mail: fabbers@ennex.com **