Re: Final numbers for Autofa

From: Brock Hinzmann (Brock_Hinzmann@qm.sri.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 1996 - 10:08:19 EET

        Reply to: RE>Final numbers for Autofact '96

Thanks for the numbers, Terry.

As to your point about the number of RP vendors in Japan versus the number of
Japanese rp-ml subscribers, I do not find that surprising, but that may begin
to change. Electronic mail has been slow to gain widespread acceptance in
Japan. As recently as two years ago, virtually no one I met in Japan had
e-mail and the informal, sometimes rowdy nature of the Internet probably
seemed rude to those that did. This fall, however, virtually everyone I met
suddenly has an email address on their business cards. As to how many people
are actually using those accounts yet, I don't know, but I suspect they will
begin to and that some of them will begin to find their way to rp-ml.

A trend to watch for in the new year.

Brock Hinzmann
SRI International

Happy holidays to everyone!

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.

P.S. Thanks to Dr. Mike Ervin of DTM for compiling and posting the makeup of
the rp-ml subscriber list. The distribution is quite interesting. I was
surprised to find that there are more RP system manufacturers from Japan than
there are rp-ml subscribers from Japan.