Re: Bridge tooling

From: Steve Deak (ht-grp@cinti.net)
Date: Thu Dec 12 1996 - 03:36:40 EET

Franck Lacan wrote:

> Hi RPers,
>
> Did anyone try what 3D-Systems call "Bridge tooling" and "Direct ACES
> injection molding"? [making directly thermoplastic injection tool using
> photocurable resin]
> Was it successful?
>
> Do you know where I can find some papers related to this subject?
>
> Thanks for your help

> Franck LACAN , PhD student
> University of Wales Cardiff,UK
> ==============================================Franck:
We are doing this type of "bridge" tooling on a weekly basis. We are
injection molding non-reinforced PVC, ABS,Polypropylene, etc for 5-25
parts. Additionally, we are using LOM and SLS-nylon and SLS Rapid Tool
as tooling insert materials for injection molding with encouraging
results. However, with some complex part geometries/shut-off
configurations we still build aluminum tooling for our prototype samples.
The important thing is we are able to get material-correct prototypes in
days.

The SME RP and Mfg Conference (Detroit, Michigan, USA) in April 1996 is a
good source for papers on this subject. Their web page is
http://www.sme.org. The contact for this conference (and proceedings)
is Lori Hastie at hastlor@sme.org.

--
Steve Deak			E-mail: ht-grp@cinti.net
Manager-RP Services		Voice:	(513) 579-3270