Re: Bridge tooling

From: SADEGH RAHMATI (epxsr@epn1.maneng.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 16 1996 - 11:38:53 EET

Hi Franck,

My PhD research at "Centre for Rapid Prototyping in Manufacturing" at
Nottingham University is on SL Injection Moulding Tools. I have
produced different ACES injection tools without using cooling
channels.

My present moulds have relatively fragile features in geometry to
intentionally make them more voulnerable. However, on my first ACES
tool I got 260 shots and on my second tool I stoped after 500 shots (
I had no more time to run the tool) without any tool failure. I used
Polypropylene material. So the results are quite promising.

I presented my first paper on this subject at the Second National
Conference on "Rapid Prototyping and Tooling Research" at
Buckinghamshire College" on Nov. 1996. I hopefully will present my
second paper on this subject in coming " Sixth European Conf. on
Rapid Prototyping & Manufacturing" at the Nottingham University.

I hope this would help you now.

cheers

Sadegh Rahmati

> Hi RPers,
>
> Did anyone try what 3D-Systems call "Bridge tooling" and "Direct
> ACES injection molding"? [making directly thermoplastic injection
> tool using photocurable resin] Was it successful?
>
> Do you know where I can find some papers related to this subject?
>
> Thanks for your help

> Franck LACAN , PhD student
> University of Wales Cardiff,UK

   Sadegh Rahmati

   Centre for Rapid Prototyping in Manufacturing
   Department of Manufacturing Eng. & Operations Management
   University of Nottingham, University Park
   Nottingham, United Kingdom, NG7 2RD

   Email: EPXSR@epn1.nott.ac.uk
   Tel; +44 115 9514033 ; Fax; +44 115 9514150