Re: SLA-250 and Maestro 1.8

From: Doug Greenwood (greenwod@eng.squared.com)
Date: Mon Dec 30 1996 - 21:05:35 EET

We loaded R1.8 the week before Christmas and have run a few parts since
then. The software loaded smoothly and we have been building parts, so
everything seems to be working OK.

My only comment thus far is that since the Z compensation is in effect
with 1.8, you will need to be more careful in finishing down-facing
surfaces, i.e., the overcure is gone, so the Z height of your part
should be (all other factors being equal) within the same tolerances as
your X-Y dimensions. However, since we are still faced with support
removal and sanding of downfacing surfaces, it seems to me that we will
have to take care not to sand these surfaces so much that the finished
part is out of tolerance in the Z dimension.

Btw, we have an SLA-250/50 (Zephyr arm) and run Maestro on an SGI Indy
workstation. In a similar vein, what experience have others had with
sweep rates on the Zephyr arm? With help from 3D, we've been using a
sweep period of 15 - 25 (we use a higher number for "large" surface area
parts). So far we seem to be doing OK with this. Any other data points?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Regards,
Doug