Skull Model

From: Scott Turner (scott@scicontech.com)
Date: Sat Jan 18 1997 - 21:33:04 EET

I would like to commend those involved in helping this ONE child with your act of charity and compassion. However, I would also pose the question as to why this technology is not available to every child facing such challenging surgery. I have been building anatomical models for UCLA at a financial loss since 1989, and in this country I have seen little or no penetration of this technology into medical practice in the U.S.

I would challenge those in academia who monitor this list to explain why their colleges in medicine are not embracing and exploring RP technology. There are RP Systems in many engineering schools throughout the U.S, but few in medical schools. Why is it that little of the grant moneys acquired by medical education institutions is earmarked for RP research? The only answer I can think of is that they do not see it as having much potential benefit. It is obviously not a high priority.

Having seen first hand how much product development has changed since 1986 when this technology was first introduced, to today, I can only imagine how much medicine would change if this same technologies was available to EVERYONE.

I am proud that if needed I or someone I knew would have RP technology available to them. I am also ashamed that its not available to the many who need it everyday, and have never heard about, or don't know how to get it.

Lastly, for those of you in Europe please ignore this message. I believe RP technology is being incorporated into medical research much more than here in the U.S.

Scott Turner

SCICON Technologies Corp.
Email: scott@scicontech.com
Phone: 805-295-8630