Re: Business

From: ralott@ccgate.hac.com
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 18:21:40 EET

     If this list is turning into a soapbox for Clinton-bashing idiots like
     this one, then get me outta here!

Subject: Business
Author: dla@depuy.com at CCGATE
Date: 1/22/97 8:08 AM

>That goes without saying. Profiting from this effort in any way goes
>against its very spirit. As President Clinton said in yesterday's
>inauguration speech, "Nothing big ever comes from being small."

Business revolves around one basic premise: Making a profit by helping
people get what they want. The so-called "spirit" of this charity proj-
ect is pristine because it is not grouped with the hundreds of other
cases just like it. If several of these cases appeared on this list
each week would their "spirit" dictate that there should be no profit
made from them? Or does it make more sense to deal with the insurance
company, as at least one person offered, and help these people WHILE
making a profit? If someone works with an insurance company to help
them realize the value of an RP model for a particular case, then some
very good things happen: the insurance company is more aware of the
importance of RP, coding may be established for RP models, the service
bureau (or whomever) has perpetuated the premise of good business, the
people in need are not in a situation where they have to pay a bunch of
money for the service, etc. If we simply do all of these types of pro-
jects (and there will be more of them) for free, have we not missed out
on some opportunities?; and the chance to help a broader range of
people?

And as for Clinton's feel-goody quote, "Nothing big ever comes from
being small," the first thing that comes to my mind is, "Oh please..."
First of all, virtually everything "big" in this great nation started
with something small. And while I realize that I may be neglecting the
context, (forgive me, but I did not watch the $32,000,000 party) I think
we must remember that there is a much-to-large faction of government that
looks on in disgust as businesses make money and then turn around and tax
the hell out of the profit--calling any tax breaks "corporate welfare."
(And then spew confusing, elevated-sounding quotes.)

There is NO reason for business people to be embarassed for making
money for their services--in this case or any other.

Before I get flamed too badly, let me make these comments:

*There is a BIG difference between making a profit by helping someone in
need and making a killing by taking advantage of another's misfortune.

*I think charity work is good--for all parties involved. And I think we
need to be careful not to condemn anyone who can find a way to achieve
the same results WHILE promoting good business practices and making a
profit. (Profits that help to fund research for new technological
developments.)

*There is a broad range of people on this RP list with varying views.
These are mine and I make no apologies for them.

Regards,

Daniel Anderson
DePuy Orthopaedics
700 Orthopaedic Drive
Warsaw, IN 46581-0988
(219)372-7360
dla@depuy.com

"I take unanimity on any difficult topic as a danger sign."
  - P. J. Plaugher