color, current demand vs. ultra customization

From: Zedand00@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 28 1997 - 21:52:44 EET

Dear Darcy,

you wrote

<Re: FULL PHOTOGRAPHIC COLOR, while there isn't alot of current demand for
applications in this area to warrant alot of new development here, I believe
that it will be applications of this nature that will bring this technology
to the consumer marketplace.

Darcy>

Although I understand exactly what you mean by "current demand" I'm
frustrated by this. There is no current demand because people don't see what
it can do. Imagine a world without color film, color tv, color movies, color
magazines. It is almost unfathomable. Imagine a world in which the prototype
of say a nike tennis shoe has text and graphics and photos of the appropriate
star all over it. In 1959 I can hear converse saying "we've got a good
product--no one wants those funny looking graphics and big soles on their
basket ball shoes". etc.,.

This concept of current demand is rather odd. ON the one hand it is exactly
the way prudent decisions are made concerning market etc.,. I put to you
though that most people don't know what they want until they see it. This
concept doesn't only stop there: Movies are made demographically a subtle
term for "current demand" --politicians give speeches in electorates
demographically-- they say what people want to hear and then go about the
business of what ever it was they were doing before they had to bother with
this election stuff.

The promise of this technology to this culture is ultra customization not
"current demand". One of the reasons i am so passionate about rp is that it
has the potential to reorient people to a creative relationship with their
lives. As a result of RP, I can design and fabricate a custom tape measure
for myself, or works of art for around the house or for sale, or a left
handed drill to place stock motors, gears and clutches into, on and on and
on. I can literally make my life.

And my rants

Best,

Michael Rees