FW: FDM real concerns

From: Cooper, Ken (Ken.Cooper@msfc.nasa.gov)
Date: Thu Jan 30 1997 - 15:34:03 EET

We've been FDM users for several years now, with our 1500 upgraded to
1600. I think QuickSlice is definitely a user friendly interface, but
two concerns we have are repeatability and porosity. For example we can
build a part and deliver one day, but three or four weeks later the
same file might not build well at all. On the porosity end, we
attempted to use some FDM'd parts for wind tunnel nozzle testing, but
the ABS wouldn't hold pressure until massively coated with polyeurethane
and wax (there go the dimensions). Other than that we've had very good
luck with our Stratasys machine, except for a recent problem with the
z-stage.

Ken Cooper
NASA Rapid Prototyping