RE: Adaptive slicing challenge.

From: Kamesh Tata (ktata@proex.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 1997 - 16:57:09 EET

----------
In a message dated 97-02-25 00:13:09 EST, you (Raymond Hope) write:

<<
 Lets consider a threaded bolt. In the threaded section the best results
 will be achieved with fine layer thicknesses, but for the head of the bolt,
 and the unthreaded section, much thicker layers can be used with no loss
 of detail. My problem is mainly in finding a robust procedure to select
 the best layer thickness in the threaded section, to keep the error within a
 specified tolerance. In this case, using the curvature to estimate error
does
 not work as the triangular threads have zero curvature. So what do we use
 in this case as the criteria to select the layer thickness?

As a part of my Master's thesis, I developed an "efficient" slicing algorithm which includes varying layer thickness in relation to surface complexity, recognizing and retaining key characteristics (like tip of a cone, horizontal wall ) etc. It was implemented in C and takes an STL file as input. The algorithm was validated on an SLA 250 and a CNC machine. I built several geometries including International Manufacturing Systems Test Part1 (IMS-T1). You should be able to get a copy of my thesis from Clemson University, South Carolina. You can contact my advisor Dr. George Fadel at 864 656 5620.
Kamesh