Re: ABS and FDM

From: ralott@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 18:26:15 EEST

>1) Why is it so difficult for other processes to use ABS or an
>equivalent material, or is it that they just don't yet?

>3) When/if will other processes (LOM SLA etc.) be able to use ABS
>or equivalent ?

Building with ABS plastic is a thermal process, which would make it
unsuitable for equipment that uses, for example, photochemical
processes.

Although, I can imagine that a machine such as LOM could adapt to
ABS, but it probably would not do so well.

No single piece of RP equipment can meet every market demand.

>2) In what types of applications is ABS critical ?

I selected Stratasys for its use of ABS because I have customers that need
engineering models that can withstand rough handling and can take a moderate
load without breaking. Further, the FDM equipment is, in my opinion, a very
good value.

Rick Lott
Hughes Space and Communications
Los Angeles