Strange alliance

From: Yakov Horenstein (yakov@planet.it)
Date: Thu May 01 1997 - 20:14:32 EEST

Your self-styled RP news service takes pleasure in distributing the
following item:

> (SANDERS/HELISYS)(HELI) Sanders Prototype and Helisys enter into OEM
> agreement
>
> WILTON, N.H.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 30, 1997-- Sanders
> Prototype, Inc. announced today that it has entered into an OEM
> agreement with Helisys, Inc. (NASDAQ:HELI) of Torrance, California,
> a leading supplier of rapid prototyping systems.
>
> Helisys designs and manufactures automated RP systems for
> creating physical models, industrial patterns and product prototypes
> directly from three-dimensional computer designs. Its LOM(TM)
> (Laminated Object Manufacturing(R)) products create large models
> using paper and plastic materials with a laser-cutting process. By
> offering the Sanders ModelMaker II(TM) with the LOM system, Helisys
> can accommodate those customers who require precise or concept
> models in a wide range of sizes.
>
> Tony Finizio, President and Chief Executive Officer of Sanders
> stated, "We are very pleased with Helisys' endorsement of our
> technology and are confident that this partnership will be
> beneficial to both organizations. Our ModelMaker II is an ideal
> enhancement to Helisys' LOM product line by enabling them to better
> serve their customers by offering them an additional product--a
> system that produces smaller, more accurate parts. This agreement
> also provides SPI with a new sales channel and access to Helisys'
> customer base."
>
> "The OEM agreement with Sanders provides Helisys with an
> immediate and leading-edge presence in the growing marketplace for
> desktop modeling systems, allowing us to compete in the expanding
> low-cost segment of the market," said Michael Feygin, Helisys'
> President and Chief Executive Officer. "The ModelMaker II is
> recognized throughout the industry as the premier rapid prototyping
> system for creating small-scale, high precision 3D models. By
> coupling our proprietary LOM technology with the Sanders ModelMaker
> II, we will now be able to offer a broader range of solutions--from
> small-scale, high-precision models to very large patterns and
> prototypes--to our potential prospects as well as our existing
> customer base."
>
> Sanders is a leading provider of rapid prototyping high-
> precision 3D modeling systems. Its ModelMaker II, a Drop-on-Demand
> Ink Jet system, can maintain an accuracy to 1.0 thousandth of an
> inch over three inches. The built-up models are produced with SPI's
> patented thermoplastic materials and are ready for casting or mold
> making.
>
> Both companies' customers include manufacturers of toys,
> sporting goods, automotive parts, electronics, medical devices,
> aerospace components and consumer goods as well as university
> research centers. Sanders Prototype, Inc. manufactures the
> ModelMaker II systems in Wilton, New Hampshire, USA. Sanders sells
> and supports the product worldwide through a network of high-quality
> resellers and its own sales and technical service. -0-

END OF PRESS RELEASE

Is this the start of a new trend?

Yakov Horenstein, Marketing
Promau Engineering srl
155, Strada per Novara
28062 Cameri (NO), ITALY
Tel: +39 (0)321 510390 [Direct: +39 (0)2 653512]
Fax: +39 (0)321 616068 [Direct: +39 (0)2 2900 6208]
E-mail: promaue@msoft.it [Direct: yakov@planet.it]