Re: STL viewer for Irix?

From: Peter de Jager (p.j.dejager@io.tudelft.nl)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 18:47:24 EEST

Justin R. Kidder wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Does anyone know where I can get a hold of a simple, free STL
> viewer for Irix 6.2 (or lower, I suppose). I just need to look at the
> objects and maybe be able to rotate/zoom them. Rendering would be helpful
> too, but I won't ask for too much. Thanks.
>
> -Justin
> Justin Kidder, Research Asst. | Automation and Robotics Laboratory
> jrkst34+@pitt.edu | University of Pittsburgh
>
> Home page: http://www.pitt.edu/~jrkst34
> "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"

Hello Justin,

you can use the standard SlaToIv program to translate from stl format
to inventor format, which you can view by using the ivview program on
irix.

NAME
     SlaToIv - convert an SLA format file into an Open Inventor 2.0
file.

SYNOPSIS
             <infile> <outfile>

DESCRIPTION
     SlaToIv converts an SLA formatted file into an Open Inventor 2.0
file.
     Copyright 1993 by Iowa State University.

     <infile> Specifies the name of the SLA file to read and convert.

     <outfile> Specifies the name of the Open Inventor file to use for
output.

Be aware that this program does not do any data reduction: the
vertices of the triangles will be all several times in the inventor
file.

If you want to do a better translation with data reduction (to get a
better interactive response from the ivview program) you can use the
ADMesh program from Anthony Martin.
ADMesh can write STL, VRML, OFF, and DXF files and a lot more, see for
your self. The VRML file translation will reduce the data by using a
IndexedTriangle elemnt, so that each vertex is only included once in the
file.
The VRML file can be viewed by a number of applications, including the
ivview program.

ADMesh can be obtained via http from:
  http://www.engr.csulb.edu/~amartin/admesh/admesh-0.95.tar.gz
or visit the home page at:
  http://www.engr.csulb.edu/~amartin

I hope this info helps and wish you succes!

Peter de Jager.

--
Peter J. de Jager            Delft University of Technology
p.j.dejager@io.tudelft.nl    Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering