market saturation

From: Elaine Persall (persall@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 17:29:56 EEST

Yakov wrote......
> I fail to understand how 2500 or so RP unit sales
>worldwide can represent a saturated market.

I too have a problem understanding how 2500 unit sales represent a
saturated market.... but when you factor in the lack of RP penetration
into a business then I can see such happening. Very few companies have
targeted this technology as a critical tool for the 21st century. Until
this happens ....the market may sag deeply.

>Are people tired of plastic
>prototypes? Do they now only want the real thing rapidly?

Disenchanted maybe a better word. We have faithfully waited for the real
(promised) thing...which is what we wanted in the first place.... People
are tired of slow developments and lack of support. When they are made to
feel that THEY are responsible for "their" machine problems and how dare
they want more.... yes they get worn down. I am tired of lasers dying
every few months. Would I still be a computer user if my hard drive died
every month or so....I doubt it. Would I trade for a totally different
system........in a heartbeat!

When RP becomes a personal productivity tool it will saturate the market
(millions of units) but will the players be the current vendors.....I
seriously doubt it. Remember a serious statement made to a user
community about 75 years ago....."they can have any color they want as long
as it's black." History now shows how the users felt about that
attitude......

and that's the way it is today,

Elaine

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine (Persall) Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
persall@ces.clemson.edu
http://design.eng.clemson.edu/rp/persall/elaine.html